Monday 21 December 2009

A Xmas Message (I'm about to get slated for!)

I got quite a few re-tweets which led to yesterday's post being one of my most viewed. Watch this one dive bomb, oh and watch the idiot counter at the footer go up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've just been out and bought the girlfriend's Xmas present and lovingly wrapped it while thinking about this seasonal time of the year. All the while there is an annoying grinding going on in the back of my mind which won't let me forget. Before you know it I'm thinking about our football club again!

It's especially fitting that this time of the year can be about bringing families back together. Although I don't see the fans, the manager, the back room staff, the players, the owners and the union getting round the table any time soon! There are such divisions within the club at the moment it is hard to see how any kind of harmony will exist in the next decade, never mind this season.

The really annoying part is that any chance of even taking small steps towards some sort of unity seems a million miles away. Over the past few months I have seen people so resolute in their beliefs that they are now only dealing in absolutes.

A few months back I saw an interview with the union when they were asked whether any sort of movement by the owners could bring about peace. 'No' was the answer. The owners had to go and by hook or by crook - go they would. The group had spoken and now the path was set. I commented at the time that I saw this as a mistake.

Fast forward to yesterday when the pressure continues to mount on our manager. I was told on a post that if, come the end of the season, we have won the Europa league and finished third in the league that Benitez still needs to go.

To put these two things into context what we're saying is if (and I accept it is a huge if) the debts of the club are say halved, the equity of the owners is diluted, transfer funds are made available to the manager, work on the new stadium starts, we win the Europa league and finish third there will still be a subset of fans for who this is not enough. There will still be demonstrations, there will still be vile contributions on forums about our manager, there will still be discontent and anger? How do we ever move forward?

It would appear that to some we live in a world where mistakes are not to be tolerated and fogiveness never extended. I'm not quite sure where society is heading. Everything has to be just right and if you get it wrong, don't bother apologising, get out of the door. If you don't go we'll gang up and we'll make you bloody go!

For anyone who is involved in the instigation of this disharmony, whether that's against the owners or the manager, and you think you're not (even a small) part of the problem. You are in my opinion mistaken. A few months back I called for peace time. A period of reflection for 12 months where we all get behind our club, every last single bit of our club no matter what. It fell on deaf ears despite the quite clear logic behind it.

As fans all we should be doing is supporting, letting the team feel that well of pressure and belief around Anfield. Agendas seem to have got in the way and yes I understand that everyone (well most) have the best of intentions, but it's not working and it is impacting on the club as a whole. After ignoring the idea of 'peace time' we can't say that as fans we did all we could do to get us through this torrid time. I don't know how much of an impact the disharmony amongst fans has had, but it is not negligible in my opinion. There has to be a better way people and I would ask every head of an organisation, website or forum and any 'person of influence' to really reflect over the festive period what is best for our club in the new year!

Let the comment battering begin and oh the idiot tick box is the one on the right.